To protect a directory on the web carry out the below steps:
1. Open a .htaccess file within the directory you wish to protect (good housekeeping)
2. Insert the followoing code:
AuthUserFile /route/to/directory/.htpasswd AuthGroupFile /dev/null AuthName "Custom text to show in pop-up" AuthType Basic <Limit GET> require valid-user </Limit>
3. Now we need to create the username and password:
htpasswd -c /route/to/directory/.htpasswd username
4. You should be prompted for a password.
5. Browse to the directory in your browser and you should be prompted for your username and password.